I usually do a list of my ‘accomplishments’ right before my birthday, a way to celebrate my extra experience and the ways I am changing my life. But I didn’t have time this year, I was way too busy rewriting Rain for that competition. So now seems like a good time, now that lots of blogs are doing year-in-review type stuff and I am preparing to read How to be Rich and Happy again and actually *finish it* this time.
So let’s see, what have I achieved in the last year?
– I edited and rewrote my novel Rain dramatically in a short period of time, and learned heaps about the editing and writing process while I did it. (Remove ‘that’ as much as you can is the lesson which has really stuck with me.)
– I changed my job.
– I sang a song, a capella in front of more than one person. It was nerve wracking and weird and my confidence was pretty low but I did it anyway and it was almost awesome.
– I had a twitter length short story published online which I was paid money for.
– Travelled to Auckland twice and to Fiji once.
– Saw Leonard Cohen perform live for the second time.
– Hosted a successful Thanksgiving dinner for which I cooked a fantastic roast turkey. Mmmmm turkey. I want turkey again.
– Costumes: Lime Chiffon, Catwoman, Hell Girl, 1900 birthday girl, Regency middle daughter, Queen Guinevere, rebellious 13 year old, heiress attending a seance…that’s all the ones I can remember.
– Attended my first New Zealand science fiction convention, where I met some truly lovely writers and got heaps and heaps of inspiration for my own writing.
I can’t remember anything else significant right this moment, but I reserve the right to add more to this list!