For a while now I’ve been mistreating our couch, sticking pins in the arm rest, losing threads down the side of the cushions, always misplacing my scissors. It’s been a bit rough on some of our guests too… danger couch D:
Anyway I saw a bunch of these over the arm sewing caddies on pinterest. None were quite what I was after so I made up my own. No patterning or mock ups, just seat of the pants sewing and decisions as I went. It look me a couple of hours and everything is from my fabric/notions stash!
Here it is in action! Red starry fabric is leftovers from Anna’s classroom cushions project. The pale fabric with cats on is from an Ali Express order a while back, and the pincushion is made of scraps and selveges and stuffed with edges of batting cut off a quilt and some stuffing. I did one long pocket on the me facing side and divided it into four thread and scissors sized pockets.
On the overhang/non me facing side I added another pocket for balance, which turns out to be great size for the little chocolate tin I keep my safety pins in and a notebook can be stashed in there too.
I sewed some ribbon bits into the seams of the main piece and on the corners of the pincushion so I could tie it on, don’t want it falling off every five minutes after all. I added a little ribbon loop as well, as I always seem to be looking to hang things off the arm rest as well.
I sewed all the details and things to the red fabric and then backed it with a colour-in heavy drill style fabric Giffy got me at Ikea years ago. It’s good, because it’s heavy and grippy. I sewed them right sides together, turned it right way round and did top stitching over both layers to secure it. I’m super happy with the result, especially how quick it was, and am now looking at it wondering what else I could add… maybe a little fabric box behind the pincushion…