I’ve made and facilitated quite a few of these baby quilts for testers 🙂
Just the top of the quilt done.
Another quilt for a workmate’s baby. This one was a lot of fun. I did an alternate squares thing by sewing long strips together, cutting them and making four square patches. Then a nice fat strip of a fabric I wanted to feature. I ended up sewing it together so it was much too long and tall… so I screwed my courage to the sticking place and cut up the quilt, reassembling it so it was wider and less tall. It was exciting and scary, but I quite like how it came out.
Assembled, quilted and binding done.
A big bit of Ikea owls fabric for the backing.
Workmates working together on a baby quilt! This one had donated fabrics, a couple of cross stitches, and a nice number of blocks made by a workmate in another city. I think it came out lovely, lots of double squares which actually, we had too many so I used some on the back as well.
One neat thing about going home for Christmas is that my mother has still got all the silly little things I’ve made her in the past and I can revisit my old crafts (and see how much better I’ve got.)
The little bear nativity set. Mostly hand stitched which meant they took ages… very pleased with how fuzzy Joseph bear is. It’s possible I only made two wise bears? The fleecy looking one is the shepherd bear of course. (90s.)
Little owls. I made these a couple of years in a row and I believe a number of my friends may even still have their little owls. (00s)
Little cats. I made these out of old t shirts and hand painted with fabric paint, hand embroidered faces. I made this ginger stripey one to look like Mum’s old cat Bilbo. (00s)
I don’t think I made this angel to look like she was shrugging all the time, but there it is. I can’t recall where I got the pattern, probably from a craft book or a magazine. I’m still fond of her, all made of calico, even the hair, and some little roses on the front of her dress. The eyes are a little lopsided, but she still has a sweet expression. (Late 90s I think)
I had one of those days where I just wanted to make something. I don’t know what causes these days, but I’m thankful to have them and when I have the energy to actually follow up on the urge. So I grabbed a set of charm squares I had in my stash and just started cutting them and sewing them together at random. I loved how happy and warm the colours were so I added some fat strips of other fabrics out of my stash which seemed to complement the charm squares. Pinterest got me super into the white sashing so I added some nice thick strips of white, some left over bits of charm square for the corners and extra bits of strips for the border.
Once it was together I added some cherry blossom inspired flowers appliqued to the white sashing and it really became pretty. I decided to give it to my workmate Aimee around this time, and to make it even more comforting Anna suggested I add a fuzzy cat so you could have it on your lap and pet the cat… instead of making it part of the quilt I made it like a plushie. Really happy how this came out, like a soft sculpture made with machine stitching and some hand embellishments.
I went mad for mug rugs over Christmas. I made a bunch and we gave away a lot of them for Christmas. Then I made Anna and myself some pokemon ones. So much fun.
(I made a Bulbasaur one too but it came a little later)
Flashback craft… Sadly the only photo I seem to have of this one is it incomplete… but you get the idea 🙂
I’ve known the mama of this baby since third form, so… 1993. I met the papa in university (around the 1999 – 2000 area) and I introduced them. When I heard they were expecting a baby I thought back to the sorts of colours I remember her liking and went from there.
The pattern is made up of pinwheel, double square and double pinwheel blocks, because apparently I was feeling the doubles. Particularly fond of the Where the Wild Things Are and expressive cat fabrics I used in the border. The back is made up of Very Hungry Caterpillar fabrics.
For a while now I’ve been mistreating our couch, sticking pins in the arm rest, losing threads down the side of the cushions, always misplacing my scissors. It’s been a bit rough on some of our guests too… danger couch D:
Anyway I saw a bunch of these over the arm sewing caddies on pinterest. None were quite what I was after so I made up my own. No patterning or mock ups, just seat of the pants sewing and decisions as I went. It look me a couple of hours and everything is from my fabric/notions stash!
Here it is in action! Red starry fabric is leftovers from Anna’s classroom cushions project. The pale fabric with cats on is from an Ali Express order a while back, and the pincushion is made of scraps and selveges and stuffed with edges of batting cut off a quilt and some stuffing. I did one long pocket on the me facing side and divided it into four thread and scissors sized pockets.
On the overhang/non me facing side I added another pocket for balance, which turns out to be great size for the little chocolate tin I keep my safety pins in and a notebook can be stashed in there too.
I sewed some ribbon bits into the seams of the main piece and on the corners of the pincushion so I could tie it on, don’t want it falling off every five minutes after all. I added a little ribbon loop as well, as I always seem to be looking to hang things off the arm rest as well.
I sewed all the details and things to the red fabric and then backed it with a colour-in heavy drill style fabric Giffy got me at Ikea years ago. It’s good, because it’s heavy and grippy. I sewed them right sides together, turned it right way round and did top stitching over both layers to secure it. I’m super happy with the result, especially how quick it was, and am now looking at it wondering what else I could add… maybe a little fabric box behind the pincushion…