Workmates working together on a baby quilt! This one had donated fabrics, a couple of cross stitches, and a nice number of blocks made by a workmate in another city. I think it came out lovely, lots of double squares which actually, we had too many so I used some on the back as well.
I had one of those days where I just wanted to make something. I don’t know what causes these days, but I’m thankful to have them and when I have the energy to actually follow up on the urge. So I grabbed a set of charm squares I had in my stash and just started cutting them and sewing them together at random. I loved how happy and warm the colours were so I added some fat strips of other fabrics out of my stash which seemed to complement the charm squares. Pinterest got me super into the white sashing so I added some nice thick strips of white, some left over bits of charm square for the corners and extra bits of strips for the border.
Once it was together I added some cherry blossom inspired flowers appliqued to the white sashing and it really became pretty. I decided to give it to my workmate Aimee around this time, and to make it even more comforting Anna suggested I add a fuzzy cat so you could have it on your lap and pet the cat… instead of making it part of the quilt I made it like a plushie. Really happy how this came out, like a soft sculpture made with machine stitching and some hand embellishments.
I made a baby quilt for one of Anna’s friends from chorus. I used inspiration from Pinterest, this post in particular. But I got a bit carried away with how many colours I wanted it to go through, so I added a scrambled colour border on the sides only.
Mochi has been very interested in this quilt from the start, see?
I’ve been pretty obsessed with applique ideas off pinterest, Anna requested whales and starfish and I really like the way they came out. (Detail photos below.)
Best photo of cat and quilt but there is also this one of her trying to catch my needle and thread as I hand sew on my lap.
The backing is blue panda bun fabric that Theresa gave me, and it looks super cute on the back. The colours all just mesh together nicely, and the dark blue binding pulls it together.
Whaley and starfishy.
Flashback craft… Sadly the only photo I seem to have of this one is it incomplete… but you get the idea 🙂
I’ve known the mama of this baby since third form, so… 1993. I met the papa in university (around the 1999 – 2000 area) and I introduced them. When I heard they were expecting a baby I thought back to the sorts of colours I remember her liking and went from there.
The pattern is made up of pinwheel, double square and double pinwheel blocks, because apparently I was feeling the doubles. Particularly fond of the Where the Wild Things Are and expressive cat fabrics I used in the border. The back is made up of Very Hungry Caterpillar fabrics.
For a while now I’ve been mistreating our couch, sticking pins in the arm rest, losing threads down the side of the cushions, always misplacing my scissors. It’s been a bit rough on some of our guests too… danger couch D:
Anyway I saw a bunch of these over the arm sewing caddies on pinterest. None were quite what I was after so I made up my own. No patterning or mock ups, just seat of the pants sewing and decisions as I went. It look me a couple of hours and everything is from my fabric/notions stash!
Here it is in action! Red starry fabric is leftovers from Anna’s classroom cushions project. The pale fabric with cats on is from an Ali Express order a while back, and the pincushion is made of scraps and selveges and stuffed with edges of batting cut off a quilt and some stuffing. I did one long pocket on the me facing side and divided it into four thread and scissors sized pockets.
On the overhang/non me facing side I added another pocket for balance, which turns out to be great size for the little chocolate tin I keep my safety pins in and a notebook can be stashed in there too.
I sewed some ribbon bits into the seams of the main piece and on the corners of the pincushion so I could tie it on, don’t want it falling off every five minutes after all. I added a little ribbon loop as well, as I always seem to be looking to hang things off the arm rest as well.
I sewed all the details and things to the red fabric and then backed it with a colour-in heavy drill style fabric Giffy got me at Ikea years ago. It’s good, because it’s heavy and grippy. I sewed them right sides together, turned it right way round and did top stitching over both layers to secure it. I’m super happy with the result, especially how quick it was, and am now looking at it wondering what else I could add… maybe a little fabric box behind the pincushion…
Some weekend day last year, I tracked down all my Halloween themed fabrics and just started cutting stuff up and sewing it together. I did a bit of fussy cutting to get some of the cutest characters featured. I found some checkerboard stuff to lift the fabrics some and as I was putting it together and loving it, I realised it wasn’t a quilt for me. It was a quilt for my dear, Halloween and Goth stuff loving friend Jack. Once I had it at a decent small lap quilt/large wall hanging sort of size I put it together with a backing of Goosebumps duvet cover from Trash Palace.
Once I’d put that together I figured I should make one for myself as well. Using some of the off cuts from the first one, and some new discounted Halloween fabric from Spotlight I made a smaller, darker and a little less fun one for myself. Don’t get me wrong, I still really like the second one, but it’s not quite as ‘wow!’ to me. It’s more sedate.
At the time of writing this second one is still in the same state – just a quilt top. I had a busy end of year getting baby quilts and Christmas craft done so I haven’t got it put together yet.